It is my honor to represent the proud people of the 7th District, which includes Dundalk, Edgemere, Essex, Rosedale and Sparrows Point. We are a unique community with a rich history all our own, and we seek to honor our heritage as we create a vital and vibrant community for generations to come. The 7th District represents a major opportunity for post-industrial renewal, and it is my goal to facilitate responsible redevelopment and be a champion of our district as a premier destination in which to live, invest and locate businesses.
While economic development, job creation and educational opportunities are of the highest priority, we are also here to serve. Our staff is proud to usher in a new era of citizen involvement and empowerment and is developing mechanisms for increased communication and accountability in areas of code enforcement, public works and public safety.
I believe I was elected in 2014 because I was the candidate who not only expressed what had led to our painful situation but also offered a practical vision on how to reverse the downward spiral and revitalize a community of over 100,000 people. If you have heard me speak, you know that my vision has three components:
- Create jobs and revitalize our workforce
- Increase the quality of our housing and schools
- Re-energize community engagement
Accomplishments in Office
Leadership Brought About More Jobs & Revitalization
- Led the Council's effort to repeal the job-threatening "Rain Tax."
- Sponsored a law to pave the way for rapid job creation at Tradepoint Atlantic.
- Brought communities, business leaders, and state and local government together to earn the state's "Sustainable Community" designation which brings revitalization investment into Essex.
Vision That's Realized a Better Housing Market & Schools
- Brought us from last place to the front of the list for new schools, earning us an unprecedented three new elementary schools in the next three years.
- Introduced legislation to allow for a one-of-a-kind golf course community at Sparrows Point Country Club.
- Rejected all proposed low-income housing plans.
- Proposed millions in cuts to Section 8 housing funding.
- Voted against federal forced Section 8 in our county.
- Sponsored a bill to allow for Veterans-only housing.
A New Era of Honesty Has Built More Citizen Involvement
- Empowered our communities to hold Towson accountable for long-standing quality of life issues, including the creation of the successful rat eradication program.
- Assisted with the development of new community associations.
- Forged relationships with local police precincts to combat crime.
Protection For Parks, People, and Community
- Facilitated funding and approval for Sparrows Point High School's new turf field.
- Protected over 900 acres of public parkland and open space from future development.
- Protected Fort Howard from overdevelopment.